Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Week 1 IE

And it starts. The clock currently sits at 237.21.21.52, and i am FEAKING OUT. We have after exhaustive effort made groups and i am so glad with the people I have ended up with. This being my fourth year i was worried about not knowing the skill sets of the other people. But thankfully I have worked with both Evan and Ryan in separate units and am confident that we have both the drive and ability to effectively complete this project.

I have so many worries about this unit. I work part time (23 hours) and study full time. When I’m not at uni I’m at work. I do 12 hour days as it is and I can already see how time consuming this project will be. To think that it will last a whole year is crazy. This is such a huge commitment, and not only my grades but that of the other team members are sitting on my shoulders. And that is a hefty burden to consider. I am thankful to know I am not the only person in this position. Most of my team members are in the same boat, which gives me relief because they understand my time constraints, but it also worries me because we are so handicapped by the maximum amount of hours that can be put into this project each week.

I have obviously known about the industrial experience project and what it entails since i started this course. In my previous years i have considered which role i thought i would play in the group. I’m normally the person in a group who ends up just doing it all because everyone else just slacks off. Having doing programming units and seeing how so many people struggle with it, i figured i would naturally be placed in that role. I think I’m a very good programmer, as I’m always the person who helps others in previous units. We came in today and the people i have chosen i believe, like myself, are all rounders. So when we were discussing the roles each person would play i said (in contrary to what i previously thought over the past few years) that i would be happy to do whatever was needed, which in this case was documentation.

I am happy to go along with this as I feel that the roles we have assigned ourselves don't really mean much. I believe the project manager and client liaison roles should be fixed unless they are not able to perform it adequately. Apart from them i think Evan, Ryan and myself will simply switch in and out of each of the other roles. The analysis, design, documenting, programming and testing of this project are HUGE roles and the time frame for each process to be completed will be so short that the group will have to take on the mentality of 'all hands on deck' to nut everything out.

I am excited, but oh so very scared!

No comments: